Sunday, 23 November 2008

Strange Beauty.

While I was…erm…doing some research…yes let’s call it research. I found the website of Argentinian artist Leonardo Solaas. What I was most taken by was a piece of java code that goes by the name of Dreamlines. What the artist himself says about this work is:

“Dreamlines is a non-linear, interactive visual experience. The user enters one or more words that define the subject of a dream he would like to dream. The system looks in the Web for images related to those words, and takes them as input to generate an ambiguous painting, in perpetual change, where elements fuse into one another, in a process analogous to memory and free association.”

All you have to do is type in a few words, the software surfs the net for a few pictures and then does something magical with them. Try it yourself, it is oddly compelling watching. I spent about an hour sat in-front of my laptop watching this thing and as my title says, it is strangely beautiful. I may start drawing this way.

Sometimes the images appear quite clear and sometimes they look a little like my migraine. Here are a few of my dreams (yes I was dreaming about the Tango). Try some of your own. Enjoy yourselves.


See you soon.

2 comments:

Laura Anderson said...

Ooh, that's quite addictive. I tried a few different words, some really interesting pictures came up. I love the dancing ones that you go though.

Dave said...

Hi Laura. Glad you liked it. I thought it was too good to keep to myself.

I tried a few different dance related words. I was trying to find something with some movement.