Saturday, 18 October 2008

Song Meme.

I was challenged to a song meme by Sheikspear and very belatedly here is my answer:

“Find a song that sums up what you think it means to be a writer and post the lyrics on your blog and why you've chosen it. NB: It doesn't have to be your favourite song, it just has to express how you feel about writing and/or being a writer. It can be literal, metaphorical, about a particular form or aspect of writing - whatever you want. Then tag 5 others to do the same (reprint these instructions).”

I thought about the things like “My Way” (The Sid Vicious version naturally). “Doing it my way” with most people is just something you say. With me it’s a borderline psychotic compulsion. But it seemed a bit obvious, so I didn’t go for that.

Then I thought about Natalie Imbruglia for a while. But Rachael told me off, so I had to start thinking about music again.

I stopped thinking about what it meant to be a writer, and I started thinking more about what I do with my ideas and do to my characters.

Then came up that great anthem for depressives and over-writers alike The Rolling Stones track “Paint it Black”. This was much closer to what I was looking for. But wasn’t quite right.

I considered a number of songs by “The Doors”. I very nearly plumped for:

“The End”

“This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
Ill never look into your eyes...again.”

And,

“Five to One”:

“Five to one, baby, one in five,
No one here gets out alive.”

But in the end I decided to go for… Drum roll please… “HURT” written by Trent Reznor of “Nine Inch Nails”. But I am choosing the version performed by Johnny Cash because however powerful and moving the song is when performed by NIN. It takes on a whole new resonance and level of emotion when you add 70 years of pain, sorrow and regret. And when you watch the video you can see that The Man in Black knows what every word in this song means, because he has lived it.

I chose this song because it most closely expresses what I do to my characters. I cripple them physically and emotionally. I tear their worlds apart and leave them without hope and broken. I am the destroyer of lives.

HURT

I hurt myself today
to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the needle tears a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but I remember everything
what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
upon my liar's chair
full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
beneath the stains of time
the feelings disappear
you are someone else
I am still right here

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again
a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Please watch the video to the end because it is one of the most moving things you will ever see.

VIDEO LINK

If all this seems rather depressing to you, imagine what it’s like to live in my head all the bloody time.

2 comments:

SHEIKSPEAR said...

Bet you're glad it's out yer box now, Dave.

Thanks Me-me answering.

How you doing?

You both been a bit quiet lately.

Too quiet...

Dave said...

Hi Sheiky. It’s never out of my box. This is where I live.

Real life work load has been a bit overwhelming lately, which is why we’ve both been a bit quiet. But we have both been busy scribbling away on various projects. And Rachael is planning to post soon about what she has been up-to over the past couple of weeks.