Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Short Films.

This evening Rachael mentioned The BBC Film Network. She was going to recommend the site to somebody. So I surfed on over, after watching a couple of shorts on here, I did a general search on short films, looking for any that were free to watch online. We knew the “BBC” site had quite a few films, and I was pretty sure “Film 4” had some too. But I wanted to know if there were any more sites we could suggest. I found some sites that I haden't come across before. Rather than keep them to myself, I thought I’d share them. I’m just too generous.

The BBC Film Network. From serious drama to music videos, this probably the best short film resource on the net.

BritFilms TV. A site I wasn’t aware of until doing this search. Plenty of films on offer.

Film4. Has a few films, I’m sure there used to be more than this but I can’t find them. Still I can whole heatedly recommend the Mike Leigh penned “A Sense Of History” staring Jim Broadbent, and “Call Register” has some lovely dialogue.

Tiscali.Film & TV. Has over sixty short films, for you to enjoy.

YouTube. The problem with YouTube is finding the wheat with so much chaff. Have fun looking through the 216,000 results of a search on “short film”.

Here are a few writing/filmmaking books to read online that Google dug up.

Crafting Short Screenplays that Connect.

Making Short Films.

Making Short Films: The Complete Guide from Script to Screen.

Practical DV Filmmaking: A Step-by-step Guide for Beginners.

Producing and Directing the Short Film and Video.

Scriptwriting Updated: New and Conventional Ways of Writing for the Screen.

The Art of the Short Fiction Film: A Shot by Shot Study of Nine Modern Classics.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Screenwriting.

Eight books and hundreds of short films....You can't say I never give you anything.


“My name is Lester Burnham. This is my neighborhood. This is my street. This...is my life. I'm forty-two years old. In less than a year, I'll be dead.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CALL FOR ENTRIES
12th Annual LA Shorts Fest is the largest short film festival in the world. We are accredited by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences. In past years, 29 participants have earned Academy Award nominations. Last year’s award winners received prizes totaling over $100,000. The festival annually attracts more than 20,000 moviegoers, filmmakers and entertainment executives looking for the hottest new talent. We have honored some of Hollywood’s legends of the past: Charles Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, and Robert Wise; along with actors Martin Landau, James Woods, Gary Oldman and directors Tim Burton, Bryan Singer, Jan de Bont and Paul Haggis.


DEADLINES:
Regular: April 25, 2008
Final: May 26, 2008

Submit Online: www.lashortsfest.com

SHEIKSPEAR said...

You're a Top Blogger Dave!
Very generous sharing your find with us.
Keep surfing, who knows what you'll turn up next!

Thanks for those quiz sites you sent over to mine, very informative.
Cheers!

SHEIKSPEAR said...

Now you've shown me how to do this, I'm gonna stick an ad on yours for something at mine:-

Re: Piers's wierd regeneration...
and foe Dr Who fans, a tribute at
http://sheikspear.blogspot.com/

Dave said...

Link away my friend, link away.

Oh and I will hold you to that beer. Rachael doesn’t drink so I’ll have to drink hers, one of the many reasons I love her.

Mmmmmmmm......Beeeeer!!!

Jason Arnopp said...

Thanks for these handy links, sir. Why, I do believe I'm going to add you to my blog-link-list. That's simply the kinda guy I am. Yes.

Dave said...

The handy links are my pleasure, sir. Thanks for the blog-link-list link, thing. I do believe I'm going to return the favour.

Happy Blogday.